Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Happy Feet ? NOT!!

Folk often ask why I run as far as I do. My answer, because I can. But how do I do it? I really don't know. Other than sheer insanity I have no reason to explain why anyone would push themselves to such extremes.

But I am not a born athlete and running does not come easily to me. Behind all the medals and certificates is plenty of pain, grunt, grit and hard work.
Case in Point, this Sunday:

PLAN: to run from Morialta Falls up to the top of Mount Lofty, a mere 18km., but rated 9/10 in the S.A. trail Runners code of difficulty.
This trail is never easy but I have done it several times. However, clearly this Sunday I would have been better condemning the alarm clock to an early grave and pulling the blankets back over my head, or hiring a Gopher!
After the first five steps I knew it was going to be ugly and that this Fat Labrador was not the owner of Happy Feet. The mind was willing but the hamstrings, glutes and calves were screaming No Freakin Way!!!!

Evi and I bribed each other up the first hill five steps at a time and really it felt like we were ascending to base camp on Mt. Everest. Sue and Mike who had done a fairly arduous bike ride on Saturday were more subdued than usual. DH plodded quietly along whilst Tracey who had been cooped up all week with a sick kid declared it was easy!!


Tracey finding it easy??? Sure!


Now running is quite an economical sport for me, in that I get full value out of my race fees.
I pay my race fees, but whilst everyone else has run their race and is back home in bed, I'm still plodding along like an epileptic caterpillar.
By the time I get to the finish line ( and I always do ) even the race clock is on overtime and the race marshalls are lying semi comatose behind the finish line.Waiting, Waiting!

Anyhow, returning to Sunday. We did all finish and actually did quite a good time. I had a few close calls with the Pewk fairy. Remember the golden rule. NEVER stand in front of a long distance runner with new shoes on !!


A close encounter with the PEWK FAIRY!

After an equally ugly Monday run I have decided to take the rest of the week off for cross training and give the body a rest.
Does quilting or cross stitch count as cross training?
And if not, why not?


Thank God for the Coffee at Mt. Lofty.


RUNNING MAKES ME HAPPY!


Thanks for dropping by,
Cheers Karen.



4 comments:

  1. Sure stitching counts as cross training! I have 'tennis elbow' from stitching. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to run up Mt Lofty from Morialta Falls. Next time I'm in Adelaide to see my mum or brother - my home town pre 1969 - I could in the realms of possibility join you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,
    I really enjoyed this post...it was very entertaining:) It looks like you had a very fun and challenging trail run! I have also almost had several encounters with the PEWK FAIRY:) Oh, that is the worst...but it makes us stronger. Cheers for Lofty Coffee!

    I see that you live Down Under:) I would love to learn more about what running is like there and look forward to reading more of your blog! I hope that you enjoy the rest of your week Karen:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 18 km of that cross training? Amazing!!!
    What about the Aussie rugby team? Are you ready for the world cup?

    ReplyDelete